Sunday, July 22, 2012

So it begins

I'm kind of obsessive.  Or maybe loyal is a kinder descriptive.  When I have all my cards in my hand, I play straight and honest and there's no messing around.

So begins the 100 day challenge.  I've already learned a thing or two.  Like the power of not-so-random quotes on pinterest or the power of prayerfully letting go so God can do His thing.

Funny thing - honest to goodness - my shoulder hasn't hurt for over a week now.  Ever since I prayerfully made the commitment to pay closer attention to Him and be more intentional about how I treat the body He has given me, I've felt better physically and spiritually.  My shoulder feels like I never had an injury there.  It's been almost a year now since I did physical therapy on my shoulder, it failed, and I resigned to just deal with it for the rest of my life since I can't justify the need for a CAT scan or surgery on it.

I also learned that I'm not motivated by money at all. Ever since husby and I climbed out of debt, money hasn't been controlling our lives so much.  When I was brainstorming about the 100 DC, I immediately thought that maybe money would motivate me or help me keep myself accountable for my choices..  but I was wrong!  I forgot all about that idea and it doesn't really appeal to me anymore.  Another post will be about how I think money and dieting are VERY similar. I can't wait to rant and rave about that.

I also learned that I can, with a small investment (about $8 for a nut milk bag) make juice with my blender, that I don't need a $100+ juicer to do it.  I can't wait for that amazon shipment. :)  Thanks a million to my great friends on facebook who are doing the challenge with me and sharing lots of awesome, valuable information to help me along my way.

I'm also learning that food controls my social life (or, at least it USED TO!!)...   this is an idea I've been "chewing on" for more than a year now, but I've just recently made sense of it in my head.  Have you ever noticed that everything we do socially or culturally, even, has (bad) food attached to it?   In my life, activities revolve around a meal.  Or, if eating is not part of the activity, the activity is scheduled at a time that is perfectly convenient in relation to meal times.   Who said I have to eat monster size meals every five hours? Who says breakfast is at 7, lunch at 12 and dinner at 5?  That's ridiculous - no wonder the #1 advice given by "experts" to people who are trying to lose fat is to eat smaller meals more often.  I can't believe it took me this long to realize that.  Just because society says those are meal times, does not mean I need to feed my body MORE FOOD at those times! Gah.   Also - why does everything have to have food as a major component?  Going to the movies - plan on popcorn! Going to a ball game (a sporting event, hey that's exercise!) count on a hot dog and beer!  Going to the circus - plan on cotton candy or a sno cone!  Going to the park - better pack a snack!  Going on a bike ride - better go after a big meal and then eat another big meal shortly after you're done! Going shopping - try a new restaurant while you're out!  Going on a date - eating without the kids!  Going to the grocery store - don't go hungry, eat before you go!  Going to work - don't forget breakfast, and pack a lunch, and hey whats for dinner tonight!  Going to church - yay, donuts!

Hah - I'm ranting now.

So anyway - Day 1 was fairly easy. I'm obsessing about the challenge. I'm obsessing about my new lessons - about the juice, about the recipes I'm discovering, about praying diligently.  I'm obsessing lately over how much my God loves me!  I should love myself, too.. and I think I'm on my way there.

I know that there's a honeymoon period in everything good.  I'm expecting some off days in a week or two... where my obsessions turn into let-downs because of minor set backs.  But, it will all work out in the end.

It just feels good to get to know my body again.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment