Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Challenge :: Week 1

So, here are my impressions of this weight loss challenge that I'm a part of.

First, I'm pretty disappointed with how the thing is being executed. The accountability provided by having co-workers and friends on the challenge with me is a very good thing, but the management of weigh-in's is kind of on an honor system. They are asking participants to weigh in and then email their weight to one of the organizers of the challenge. This organizer is an outside person, so it's not biased, but the weights are not checked by ANYONE, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME. Even our initial weigh in last week was pretty sorry: just weigh in on the scale you'll be using for the duration of the challenge and email that weight to the facilitator.  I'm a pretty honest person. In fact, if I had to name a weakness about me, it would be fierce loyalty. I hate to break rules and I'm pretty much a terrible rule follower. So, the thought of cheating on this, though enticing (we're talking about close to $200 here, probably!), is out of the question for me. But, how do I know that everybody else who is participating is on the same ethical level I am?

 Aside from that, I can brag that I'm doing very well. I'm back to the exact weight I made when I finished my last weight loss challenge, which is fantastic!

 I did a weight loss challenge during the summer, from June until mid August, and I lost nearly 40 pounds during that time. But, after the challenge was over, I began to have severe pain in my left shoulder and so I slacked off on the exercising. I also came down with pneumonia and so I slacked off on the healthy eating (I justified it by saying that I'm just glad I'm alive: Doesn't matter how I eat!).. Well, needless to say now, I've made up for all of that. I'm doing alright in physical therapy for my shoulder and my eating has been spot on for the last week.

I'm highly motivated by surprising everyone around me with my commitment to becoming healthier, stronger, leaner, and a couple hundred bucks richer. :) I'm 8 pounds down from my (honest to goodness) weigh in last week. I attribute that to countless hours working out and eating spinach salads with LOTS of veggies twice a day. I'm also eating plenty of fruit in the mornings and am getting sufficient protein throughout the day by way of shakes, yogurt, cottage cheese, and something meaty at dinner (usually).

 I'm feeling healthy, I'm much happier (again), and I keep surprising myself with my endurance and strength at the gym. I enjoy 5am spin classes, even though I don't have an accountability partner there. I can't wait for Spring so I can enjoy running outside more often.

 This healthier lifestyle is contagious, and perhaps that's the most appealing benefit to me. My kids are copying me - Rebecca loves her spinach smoothies and her salads and Julia wants to get serious into running. She even ran 2 miles with me and kept up with a 11:40 min/mile pace and then out-sprinted me at the end. Julia loves the shakes/smoothies and will eat raw spinach by the handfuls, along with cucumbers and celery, and even fresh broccoli.

 My husband has been a great supporter of me for this challenge as well. He has endured my thousands of questions about calories and exercise and he's been busting his own butt with Insanity just to stay with me in this. He'll enjoy his occasional sweet treat, but I don't blame him - with a metabolism and body like his, I would certainly indulge more often as well. :)

 Alright, so now I've written way more than is enough about my first week on the challenge. The challenge is over after spring break in March. I might even have a bikini body this summer... imagine that! (LOL - no don't imagine it... it was rhetorical. save yourself the gag). Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment